Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sausage and Bean Soup...an old recipe...

One of my favorite soup recipes comes from a very long time ago Southern Living magazine. I haven't made it in a while. I don't know why. My go-to soups are either Chicken Tortilla , White Chicken Chili or Chicken Noodle, but today seems to be a Sausage and Bean soup kind of day.

This is not your standard soup recipe...I discovered...while trying to find the recipe on the internet. The recipe does not call for spinach or pasta, sweet potatoes or smoked sausage, which is what I was finding during my search. I had to break out my OLD cookbook of favorite recipes that I put together years ago. So, here's my recipe for:



Sausage and Bean Soup

Ingredients:

1 lb. hot sausage (regular, if preferred)
Large can crushed, fire roasted tomatoes
3 c. chicken broth
2 potatoes, large dices (I don't peel)
1 lg. can beans (pinto, kidney or black-I prefer Bushes Chili Beans)
 bag frozen corn (I like to use the yellow and white mix)

Directions:

Cook sausage and drain grease. Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth to sausage. Add potatoes. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Add chili beans and corn. Heat to warm.

This recipe is very versatile. You could saute an onion, some celery and bell pepper with the sausage if you like. You could add some (heart-shaped or chopped) carrots along with the potatoes. You could even add cream style corn, if you like. I've made it all kinds of ways, but above is the basic recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment