Thursday, November 7, 2013

Apron Bonnets and Pioneer Treks

Remember the garden aprons that I showed you this past summer?




 


Well, I have a different apron to show you today.



When I was in elementary school, many years ago, one of our cafeteria ladies brought some really cool aprons to sell. They weren't just aprons, though. With the buttoning of a couple of buttons, they turned into bonnets. I thought that was the coolest thing!  I had to get one for my mom. I'm not sure that she used the bonnet function, but she did wear the apron. 
 A few years ago, our family was invited to participate in a Pioneer Trek. I got busy sewing shirts for my husband and boys and long, gathered skirts for my daughter and me. I thought back to that apron/bonnet and  decided that it'd be the perfect accessory to our attire. I did a search on the internet, but was hard-pressed to find a pattern...until I stumbled across a little shop called Country Patterns. It was here that I found a pattern for an Apron Bonnet.


I was so excited. I quickly ordered the pattern. When it arrived, I got to work. I made four bonnets. Two were out of the same fabric for my daughter's and my "Sunday Best" bonnets. The other two were just fun prints that I had. One was a print of Pioneer bears that I thought would be appropriate to a Pioneer Trek.

 Here are some pics of the finished bonnets. The one to the left shows the apron and bonnet.  I thought I'd share these aprons just in case you are looking for that perfect gift for your favorite gardener...besides the present of a Garden Anywhere Box, of course. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment