Friday, November 1, 2013

Fiery Kitchen Sink Chili

Color me surprised and happy! I won a chili contest. We had our annual Trunk or Treat/Chili dinner at chuch last night. I usually bring White Chicken Chili (which is amazing, btw) just to offer a change from all of the other chilis. This year, there was a request for someone to make some spicy chili. I decided to try my hand at spicy chili since I had SO MANY dehydrated jalapeno and habanero peppers from the garden this past summer.

I'm reconstructing the recipe as close as I remember. I made it up as I went along... ;)
I had ground venison in the freezer, compliments of our neighbors (Thank You), so that's what I used. With all of the additions, this made a little over a crock pot full. I scooped out a few cups and put it in a saucepan. I also made some Mexican cornbread to go with the chili. (Recipe to follow on another post along with the White Chicken Chili recipe...as if you need another one, but this one)

Feel free to adjust the peppers and spices to your taste. The funny thing is that even with all of the peppers, it's only really HOT if you actually eat a pepper. The dehydrated ones are big enough to see and avoid. The chopped ones only added a little kick, but not a burn. I believe that the dehydrated peppers added a little smoky earthiness that you just don't get with fresh peppers.


p.s.  I took a picture of the chili with my phone to send to my husband to show him what some spicy chili looked like. I never dreamed that the picture would come in handy later.


Fiery Kitchen Sink Chili


2 lbs. ground venison or hamburger
1 onion, chopped
4 jalapenos, chopped with seeds
4 habanero peppers, chopped with seeds
3 cans crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes (Muir Glen)
2 c. roasted tomato and fig sauce
2 lg. cans Bushes Chili Beans
1 lg. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
¼ jar Suan’s Scotch Bonnet Pepper Jelly
½ c. dehydrated jalapeno and habanero pepper slices (more or less to taste)
½ c. chili powder
2 t. cumin    
2 t. Slap Your Mama
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. chocolate chili spice
1 t. Jamacian Jerk seasoning
1 t. smoked paprika
Brown meat and drain fat. (No fat with venison) Add onion and peppers and sauté. Add meat to crockpot. Add beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Stir. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment