Monday, October 14, 2013

Strawberry Corn

I wanted to try to grow something different this past summer, so I decided to grow Strawberry Corn. I saw it in the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Catalog. http://www.rareseeds.com/

Their catalog is almost as fun as reading a good cookbook.

We planted 12 kernels in our Garden Anywhere Boxes and got about 17 ears of corn. The corn is not as big as regular sized corn. It's only about 4-5 inches long. It's also red. We decided to pop some today and see what would happen. I don't own a microwave and haven't for years, but that is another topic for another day. We have an air-popper for popping corn. It does an excellent job and I know exactly what is on my popcorn. Just butter and salt.


Anyway...I put about a tablespoon full of kernels in the popper. I just wanted to see if it would pop. Well...it popped alright. It popped right out of the popper onto the counter. I guess the kernels were not weighty enough to stay in the air popper.

After I corralled the kernels, I tried the stove version. Just a tiny bit of coconut oil, the corn and a small pot with a see-through lid to allow me to watch the corn pop. It popped really quickly, too. It was so fun watching the corn that we grew turn into popcorn. Next year we will plant more than one box of Strawberry corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment