Tuesday, October 15, 2013

One More Harvest from our Summer Garden

 Happy Fall! This is my favorite time of year and October is my favorite month. Add to that the cool weather that came to visit last night and I'm in heaven. I've got the windows up and my cookbooks open.

I added some pictures that I've taken recently. The first is the Garden Anywhere Box Facebook page Cover Photo. I like to change things up every once in a while. The first picture is of a pumpkin that we grew. The middle picture is of our cat, Radio. If you've been with us through the summer, you will recognize my helper. He likes to accompany me when I got out to check the garden. He takes his job as
bodyguard very seriously. The third picture is of some
persimmons off of one of our trees. They are such a pretty
color and represent fall very well, imho.

The middle picture to the right is one of my last garden harvests from our summer garden. This brings to a close
four months of almost daily pictures of what we've harvested from our garden. That does not include what I harvested in the spring before I was obsessively documenting our harvests in pictures... :D.  There are still a few tomatoes on the vines. We have had a steady harvest of bell peppers, jalapeno, banana and habanero peppers this summer. I've loved adding these to my recipes. I even dehydrated some peppers because we had so many. I made Cowboy Candy with some of the peppers. It was a bit too hot for me, so the next batch I added cucumbers to the syrup and just a few jalapenos. It was really good.

I also harvested some chard that has perked up again 

in the garden as the weather has cooled. My chard, kale, beans  are doing better in the cooler weather. I bought some onions, herbs and broccoli plants at Lowe's to add to my fall garden. I am coming to believe that the broccoli was mislabeled because these plants are starting to look an awful lot like cabbage. Hmmm...

The gourd in the picture is one of several still growing. I harvested this one because a few weeks ago, some bugs attacked it and left little pock marks in the skin. I got rid of the bugs, cleaned the gourd and tried to let it get a little bigger, but decided because of the marks to go ahead and harvest it. There are still 5-6 good sized gourds growing.

The last picture is a collage of the pictures I've taken recently of our garden harvests. I love Halloween and since my decorations were up (barely) before October, I thought they would make a nice backdrop.

I take these pictures not only to have a record of what I'm growing, but also to share with you. I want to show that if I can have a successful garden even into October, you can, too.  I'm already excited to start our garden next year. Believe me, I've never felt that way before, but Garden Anywhere Box makes gardening easy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment