Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Thoughts about Life...and Death...and Gardening

I have a few "celebrity friends" on FB. You know...me and thousands of others...lol.  One of those "friends" is Corbin Bernsen. I don't watch soap operas and I don't watch "Psyche", but I've seen the show and know who his mother  (Jeanne Cooper-The Young and the Restless) was to the soap opera world. I started following him as a friend on FB when his mother died. Mr. Berensen is a very gifted and passionate writer. I enjoy reading what he has to say.

It's been about a year since his mother died. He still writes about her and his journey on the road to dealing with her death. Apparently someone mentioned to him that it was time to "get over it and move on." Yikes! I wonder if that person has ever lost a loved one? You don't just get over it. You deal with the loss daily. You come to accept it. It's been 10 years this year since my parents died. Not a DAY goes by that I don't think of them. The sadness is (mostly) gone, but the missing will never be gone.

Recently, Mr. Bernsen posted his thoughts about life and death and differences. I thought he was spot-on with his comments. We all have different opinions about life and death and God and race and politics and gender. That's okay! It's okay to embrace different beliefs. The problem comes when we try to force our beliefs on others. We ALL should have our free agency to choose.

He said, "Look, here's the thing... we will always have two - if not more - distinct camps - as to "how it all began." But there is no need for them to be combative, argumentative. The fact is, at least for me, the world is here and personally, I'm less concerned on how it got here than what I do with it while I'm here, while we are all here. I'm not sure what "being right" gains. The only TRUTH of the matter is that it does exist, we are here, and we are the CUSTODIANS of it. We have a God given, natural, responsibility to protect it, heal it, and most importantly, pass it on in good order to future generations. That has NOTHING to do with "how it got here." It has all to do with what we do today with it. We are the CUSTODIANS... not only to our planet, our very existence, but also our children which are, by my definition, the future, the hope, the beauty, the truth. That is the only true thing I NEED to know."

I totally agree with him. I wish that we could all just get along on this planet. I know that can not be right now, but I hope for peace in the future. I believe in GOD. Since my parents died, I don't know how I would be able to go on without my belief in a higher power and the idea of life after death. But, I accept that not everyone believes as I do. I'm fine with that...as long as their beliefs/non-beliefs do not infringe on my choice to believe.

I feel the same way about gardening. Not everyone has to garden in a Garden Anywhere Box...but why wouldn't they want to...lol. I respect the traditional gardeners, the one's that love the process of gardening, digging and weeding and harvesting. I respect people who use raised beds, hydroponics, aquaponics and other ways of gardening. I respect all roads leading to the harvest.
I have learned so much from the gardening process. It is like the quest for knowledge about life and death. Some things can be known. Some things are still a mystery...like how do squash bugs KNOW where to find the squash plants...even up on my deck? There are mysteries that we will never know until we die and that's okay with me. I don't have to know everything. The important question is what will I do while I am here to help others and leave the world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. My Mom has been gone far longer, and while I don't think of her every day any more it is still often. I still miss her so very much, find myself thinking of how something would make her smile. Who ever said to get over it and move on has an amazing lack of human feeling and empathy. More like the kind of person who tortures animals.

    ReplyDelete