Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Post from a Humble Gardener...He's not just the president, he's also a customer.

A few thoughts about gardening in a Garden Anywhere Box... When I’m talking with people about gardening in a box, I think, even now,
“do these really work" or "what if they don’t work for somebody.”
I remember back when I started gardening this way. I was always trying to save money while doing this. One time I got a large load of wood chips from a tree trimming company and truck load of potting soil. I wanted to make my own potting mix. Big mistake. I’m sure if I’d taken the time to do it properly, I could have had success. I didn’t take the time to do it right and the results were not good. I then decided, no short-cuts. Since we can use the potting mix for several years (7 so far), I think it is better to buy high quality potting mix. I still add dolomite and fettilizer each growing season. I got rid of the wood chip/potting soil mixture. Potting mix is definitely the way to go with Garden Anywhere Box.
When I was working in Chicago and developing the watering system, I sold a single box to a friend from work. Apparently I didn’t explain very well how to prepare the box for planting. There was potting mix under the platform, on top of the platform and about 4” to 6” of above the plastic to the top edge of the box. Guess what? It still worked! Not as well as the ones planted correctly, but it worked. The next year she grew great tomatoes. That is all she wanted to grow.
I heard from a gentleman the other day that had some trouble last year. We didn’t have time to discuss it, but he thinks he did something wrong. I always want to take the blame if it doesn’t work, because I know that they do work. I’ve grown in Midland, Texas when it was over 115 degrees. I’ve grown in Oklahoma when we set the record for the hottest state in the country one year. Our boxes are slowly getting to people around the country. We look forward to feedback... good or bad...so that we might continue to learn and improve.
We are still using most of our original boxes, (7th year now) and they are doing great. The boxes we are using now are made from better quality material. All I can say is don’t give-up. If for some reason, you do not have gardening success, please try again. Let me know and together we will fix the problem. The boxes DO work. I know they do! I’m always available for questions. I want you to be successful.
Here is a video that our son (media department) made to explain how to get your GAB ready for planting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wzeE3OOS6w
To all of our customers, please give us feedback. We made a slight design change because of customer feedback. Some of you bought boxes before we had the watering system. I’ve been contacted by some who want to add the watering system. We are thrilled to help. Some have wanted to add a rain barrel and I’m glad to help explain how to do that as well. Again, we want you to be successful. Let us know if you have any questions about gardening in a Garden Anywhere Box.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment