Saturday, November 22, 2014

In the Kitchen...

Busy day in the kitchen. Getting ready for our church Thanksgiving dinner tonight. 

Our Primary group made cute little Pilgrim hat crayon holders and turkey posters saying what they are thankful for. I've been in charge of activities at my church before. One thing that I like to do for the Thanksgiving dinner is to cover the tables with butcher paper and set crayons out. This gives the kids (and some adults) something to do once they've eaten dinner.



I signed up to bring my mom's recipe for sweet potato casserole, Chunky Cranberry Applesauce, Mexican Fruitcake and a green salad with home-grown tomatoes from the greenhouse.









 Here is a pretty close recipe for sweet potato casserole.

I use three eggs and my recipe does not call for buttermilk, but I found a recipe on Pinterest and decided to post it. My mom made Sweet Potato Casserole every year for special occasions. My husband would not touch a sweet potato until he tried my mom's casserole recipe. 




  Chunky Cranberry Applesauce

This is a favorite recipe that I found in an issue of Southern Living a few years ago. I grew up with cranberry sauce from a can. I was fine with that...until I discovered this recipe. It is just so good. Worth the time to make to add it to the holiday table. 



















Mexican Fruitcake,

This is one of my very old and very favorite cakes. I got the recipe years ago when I worked in an office. People were always bringing goodies. A salesman's wife brought this cake. She called it, "Mexican Fruitcake." I'm not sure why since the only fruit in it is crushed pineapple. It was so good. I had to have the recipe. This cake is super easy to make.

Beat two eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, crushed pineapple, vanilla, flour, baking soda (my recipe does not call for baking powder) and chopped pecans. Mix with a fork and pour into an ungreased jelly roll pan. No mixer, just a fork and an ungreased pan. What could be easier?

Bake until done, cool, and ice with cream cheese icing.

If you haven't made any of these recipes, you should give them a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment