Saturday, September 20, 2014

Health Benefits of Okra...

I wanted to share with you the health benefits of okra. Last year I learned that okra leaves are edible. You can cook with them just like other "greens" or add them to smoothies. 

Now I'd like to spotlight the benefits of eating okra. If you are not consuming this powerhouse daily, you are missing out. 

Do some research and see what you think. 

History of Okra


Your BEST method is to use fresh Okra. Frozen Okra is nearly as good and much more convenient. Fresh (or even frozen & thawed) Okra gives you ALL the benefits of the vegetable. Water soaking it isn't very effective and takes much longer for the benefits. There simply isn't enough of the Okra in the water to do much good. It will work but takes a rather long time. It's just not very efficient.


All methods or okra preparation have some benefits, but the best way, imho, would be to consume it raw in a smoothie. 

Don't let your fear of okra stop you from trying it raw in a smoothie. You can't taste it. It's not slimy or fried AND you get all of the health benefits. 



My Basic Smoothie Recipe

Frozen Fruit: Banana, Strawberries, Blueberries, Pineapple, Peaches,etc.
2 cups of greens: spinach, kale, beet, okra leaves,etc.
2-3 small okra pods, tops removed
 (optional)


Directions: Make almond milk. I included a recipe, but mine is really basic. I use 1/4 c. soaked almonds to 3 cups of water. It makes plenty of rich milk with less pulp left over. I don't add dates or vanilla, but you could. Strain into a measuring cup with a strainer. No need to use cheesecloth and squeeze.

I take the few almond pieces that are left in the strainer and add back into my blender with another cup of water. I blend again and get another cup of almond milk to use later.

Pour the amount of almond milk you want into your blender. I use three cups since I'm making smoothies for three. Add frozen fruit, greens and other additions. You can add flax seeds or other seeds if you want. I sometimes add frozen juice cubes like beet, cucumber, carrot or other juices. If I have fresh cucumbers, I'll cut up a whole one and add it to the mix.

Blend until smooth. Drink your smoothie slowly, like you are eating a meal...because you are. Think of all of the goodness concentrated into one drink and be happy that you are nourishing your body with good foods.

Btw, I don't get paid to endorse products that I recommend. These are brands that I use and like and wanted to share with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment