Monday, September 8, 2014

Green Smoothies and Wild Edibles

Almost every morning I make green smoothies for breakfast. The pink color in the smoothie is from frozen beet cubes. I like to juice some veggies, preserve the juice in ice cube trays and add Juice cubes to my smoothies. Last year, I froze cucumbers, beets and carrots. I still have a few small freezer bags left to enjoy.

I usually add a handful of spinach, Romaine, kale or whatever greens I happen to have. I also add a couple of scoops of
Boku Super Food. I really like Boku. I've used it off and on for years. It's full of green goodness. Another good thing to add to smoothies is wild edibles. These are "weeds" from your yard that are free for the picking. They contain valuable minerals and nutrients that your body needs.

I was out foraging for wild edibles this morning to add to our green smoothies. If you don't know the difference between a good weed and a bad weed, here is website with pictures and descriptions. Granted, it's for Oklahoma, but you will probably find some familiar weeds to your area. 

If you've never tried a green smoothie, you really should. It does not taste as bad as it sounds. I think it tastes pretty good. It might be an acquired taste, but your body will benefit from the added greens.  I add frozen fruit to mine and make my own almond milk. I also add coconut cream concentrate.  A green smoothie a day is an easy way to add greens to your diet.

I learned about green smoothies 8 years ago after reading a book called, "Raw Family" by the Boutenko family. It opened my eyes to a new way of looking at food. While I do not embrace a totally raw diet, I believe that raw food should have a high priority in our daily diet.

That is one reason why I am so passionate about Garden Anywhere Box. This way of gardening allows you to grow at least some of your own food. You can provide your own greens for green smoothies and the vegetables that your family needs to stay healthy. GAB gives you freedom. Freedom from weeds and freedom to garden without tilling the ground. With our exclusive watering system, GAB also gives you freedom of a self-watering garden. You don't over-water or under-water. GAB also uses about 70% less water than a traditional garden. If you don't have a yard, if you have poor soil, if you have limited time or energy, you can still have a garden with Garden Anywhere Box. 



No comments:

Post a Comment