Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Dehydrators...The Saga Continues...



 
I have an old brown, round Nesco dehydrator that I really like. It's quiet. The heating source is a coil at the bottom of the unit. It works great...except that it's a bit tricky to make fruit roll-ups.

A few years ago, I decided to bite the bullet and buy an Excalibur Nine-Tray Dehydrator. I thought that this would allow me more dehydrating room and square trays for making my own fruit roll-ups.

The first time I used the Excalibur, I discovered how noisy it was compared to my quiet little Nesco. It did not take me long to abandon the noise for the quiet...even if it meant misshapen fruit roll-ups.

Fast forward to today. With so many tomatoes needing attention, I noticed that my Nesco was having a bit of trouble with hot spots. Some parts of the trays were getting too done, while others were not close to dry.


I decided to get out the Excalibur and use it with my Nesco to help me get more done. Eight trays of tomatoes ready to dry. I plugged it in and turned it on. Noisy, but if it is more effecient,  then it's worth it. I noticed right off that the air was blowing 
cool. I wondered about that, but thought that it 
just needed to warm up.

I kept checking on it. The air was still cool. I turned up the heating knob to the highest setting instead of the vegetable setting that was recommended. No change. After a day and a half and no progress, I discovered mold on my tomatoes. Yikes!

What a disappointment! Eight trays of tomatoes that had to be tossed and a practically brand new (used twice) dehydrator that does not work. I've had it too long for it to be under warranty. I'll have to decide whether to pay $30 something dollars to replace the heating element or modify it some other way.

I found a video on how one lady replaced the heating element in her Excalibur.  Apparently, I'm not the only one with this issue...

I looked into building my own dehydrator. There are lots of options out there from basic to complex. Not sure what direction I'll go. Stay tuned.

I found an article about dehydrating and dehydrators. I think I'll save it for reference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment