Friday, December 13, 2013

Soup, Cornbread and Spice...

I made some Hamburger Soup today, although I should call it Deer-burger soup since I used some deer meat that my neighbor gave me. It was really good, but it was missing some cornbread. I got out my trusty recipe for Homesteader Cornbread.  I like to divide the cornbread batter into two glass pie plates so that I can make one plain for the kids and one spicy for Larry and me.

I wanted to use some peppers that we grew this past summer to spice up "my" cornbread. I tried to grind a batch of  dehydrated peppers into powder. I put them into my food processer. That was a fail. They did not grind at all. They just got dizzy.

I decided to try my Blendtec. It is advertised to take on golf balls (not recommended by the normal layperson...lol). I figured it could handle some peppers...and it did. Brilliantly! The first pic is of the peppers. The second pic is how they looked after the food processor. The third pic is the powder that I hoped for.


I love growing my own peppers. I can't wait until next year. I have several varieties that I want to try. Chocolate Habanero, Carribbean Red and the hottest pepper recorded, the "Carolina Reaper". Check out Pepper Joe's to see his assortment of HOT peppers. Even if you just grow them to dry them and smell them...it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment