Saturday, April 21, 2012

All is not well...

As happy as I am about all of the rest of our garden, I am not happy about my kale. There are little green worms eating holes in the leaves. LOTS of little green worms... Why is this happening? Last year I had amazingly healthy and prolific kale plants. I did some research and discovered what I think is the answer. In the box with the kale, I planted some rosemary. It was an afterthought since my husband does not really love rosemary and relegated it to the "kale box". But, I didn't have any worms or any problems at all with my kale last year. I can not have worms on my kale! I harvest it to add to my smoothies. I do not want the extra green protein in my smoothies! ;) I just bought a rosemary plant last night at Lowes (because I LOVE the smell of rosemary). Today, after I read about rosemary loving kale, I plopped it into the kale box. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I will have to get out my companion planting book again and see what else I need to plant with what. So...just because these are "garden anywhere" boxes does not mean that they do not have to be tended a little. But...there are ways to outsmart the pests. Companion planting is one of those ways. There are also homemade sprays that will prevent pesky pests from invading your garden. Hopefully, with a little planning, your plants will thrive and survive the summer and the pests.

No comments:

Post a Comment