Thursday, October 2, 2014

Turning Brown Thumbs Green...

The daily harvest pics that I post are to show you that if I can be a successful gardener, you
can, too. :) 

I gardened for years with very little success. We did a traditional garden, raised beds, lasagne gardening and other assorted methods that people swore by (and I swore at. ;) ). The same thing would happen each  year. By July, my garden would die because I did not want to go out in the heat and weed the garden. Plus, I would either over-water or underwater, never seeming to get it just right. 

I don't know if it was Oklahoma or just my ineptness in the garden, but I could not harvest much at all. People have told me that they could grow anything...until they came to Oklahoma. I don't know about that since I've only ever gardened in Oklahoma. I only know that for me, it was a challenge...until we started gardening in boxes.

We tried Earth box and had success for the first time in a really long time. Larry wanted to try to make his own boxes. After working out a few design flaws and trial and error plans from the internet, he fine-tuned his boxes to be done to his satisfaction. I was a happy gardener because I had more boxes to grow veggies. I didn't have to weed the garden because the boxes were weed-free. I also was not over-watering my plants. I would fill up the watering tube daily and when the reservoir was full, water would come out the little drain hole. This truly was an easier and successful way to garden.





Here are some pictures of our early GAB garden. GAB on the left and Earthbox on the right. Thirty four tomato plants in seventeen boxes. We put the boxes right in our old gardening spot. We also discovered as the tomatoes grew, that we did not space them far enough apart.  

The pictures are of the tomatoes at planting, at four weeks and one days harvest of tomatoes. We harvested LOTS of tomatoes that summer. 

 
The problem arose when I was watering 20 boxes by hand. What started out as a few containers for a garden turned into...WORK. I asked Larry if he could come up with an easier way to water. Yes, I'm that lazy...lol.

Again, through trial and error and very little plumbing knowledge, Larry came up with a solution. He figured out a way to water all of the boxes at once and Garden Anywhere Box was born.

We felt that we had something useful to share. Surely, I could not be the only person who hated weeding a garden in the heat of the summer and who also

had two brown thumbs. We thought that other people might be interested in this easier way to garden. We are not the first ones to garden in a box, but no one else has a watering system like Garden Anywhere Box. The "no-weeding" part is the best, but the self-watering aspect of GAB is amazing. 




Now, when I go out in the morning (before it gets hot) to (not weed my garden) harvest what's ready, I can say that I really love gardening. I love being successful. I love planting new veggies that I've never tried. I love taking pictures of my harvests. I never did that before when I gardened in the ground. I was too hot from pulling weeds to even think about lingering over my plants to take pictures. Plus, there wasn't much to take a picture of. Garden Anywhere Box has changed all of that.

While we were talking about the boxes this summer and brain-storming about how to get the word out about GAB,  Larry came up with a slogan,


 "Garden Anywhere Box...
Turning Brown Thumbs Green."


I had come to accept my brown thumbed-ness in the garden, but now realize and am trying to accept that I AM a successful gardener. No more brown thumbs!

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I share my harvest pics to show others that if I can be a successful gardener, you can, too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment