Sunday, April 6, 2014

Geese

For over ten years we've had a family of geese visit our pond each year. They make a nest and have their babies.  Last year the mother goose built her nest too close to the end of the island. The rains came, the pond rose and her nest ended up under water. It was a sad day when we realized that we would not have babies last year.

But here they are...back again. :) This time she has placed her nest in another spot farther into the middle of the island instead of on the end.

There has been a lot of squawking lately as the geese come back together. Parents and several generations gather to determine territory, I suppose.  This morning, while I was outside looking for edible weeds,  I was also entertained by several geese. They were foraging for food when a couple more geese flew onto the grass. Then the show began. Geese were squawking at and chasing each other. Even the parents got involved over on the pond. The only time they were quiet was when they noticed me nearby and stopped squawking long enough to determine if I was a threat or not.

1 comment:

  1. Well I am sad to say that I missed the part about potting "mix" as opposed to potting "soil"...when I was shopping all the potting mix available had the water retaining crystals or fertilizer included, so I got potting soil. My boxes are all set up and I have some peas growing and just put in my tomatoes today. It seems to be wicking all right so far even though I used potting soil. Next year I will probably redo it properly or at least add a bunch of peat.

    ReplyDelete